Saturday, March 9, 2013

First Up, Gail, Combat Flight Surgeon!

I met Gail when we were both deployed to Northern Iraq.  Gail has an infectious good cheer and radiates competence.  Often we would meet on Saturday evenings in the chapel, along with the Chaplain and another squadron commander.  We'd play completely brainless games - Uno usually -  and talk about the events of the week, our families, and whatever else was on our minds.   Take a look at her story…

1. Why did you join the Air Force?
I wanted to be there for the wounded.  I remember the Vietnam vets coming home.  I remember a picture of a man under a tree, wounded, without help.  I knew I could do that.   I have done it for nearly 30 years now.  Deployed 6 times and deployed forward from there 3 other locations, I have been there for the wounded.

2. What status have you held/currently hold (active duty, guard, reserve, retired, etc)
Active duty 3 times, reserve 2.  and soon Aug 14 to be retired.

3. What has been an unexpected highlight of being in the Air Force?
Travel, met my husband in France.

4. What has been your greatest challenge?
Accepting my imperfections.  

5. What is one thing you would change about the Air Force?
I'll have to think about it.

6. What is one thing you would never change?
Camaraderie, brotherhood--I'm proud of being in the Air Force, just like my Dad and my Uncle.

7. What, now, would you tell your Airman Basic or 2nd Lieutenant self now?
Take a deep breath, step back, and be objective.   And don't gain weight!  It's harder to get off the older I get.
Thanks again Gail!

No comments:

Post a Comment