Monday, April 3, 2017

So proud!


My daughter has been borrowing my camera and photographing the games of her rugby team. This morning I was in DEEP work avoidance mode, and flipped through the latest batch she had posted online for her teammates to see. This picture of one of her teammates makes me so proud, for many reasons...

First, because my daughter has been sidelined with a significant injury, and there is nothing she hates more than standing on the sidelines. Taking the camera to games is a great way for her to contribute and be involved with her team. I am proud of her for persevering.

Second, because if you look past the fierce expression and mud stains, you can see...mascara. That's why, despite my worries, I love this sport and the girls that play it. They are tough, they tackle, they get knocked down, a lot. But they aren't afraid to also be girly.

Third, because it makes me proud that teenage girls in 2017 can be socially ambidextrous. Being athletic, kicking butt at high level math, and being on the Homecoming Court are not mutually exclusive. It's been a joy to see my girl grow - too fast sometimes - and I can't wait to see where the big wide world will take her.

No comments:

Post a Comment